back
to top

Hooray! My favorite season is here! I love the fall… I love all of the pumpkins seen everywhere and the orange and red leaves.

DSC04056

I love the holidays in the fall…

DSC08042

IMG_1466
I love all of the pumpkin flavored foods…

IMG_6070

And although I’m not a die-hard football person, I do love sitting and watching the games with Jeff this time of year, even if I do occasionally multi-task by answering email while doing so!

But without a doubt, I also love the produce available this time of year!

Whenever possible, it’s best to try and buy produce in season because those fruits and vegetables are at their peak in flavor and nutrition during that time. In season produce is also the most affordable, too!

Here is a list of the autumn produce gems to take advantage of and enjoy above all others this spectacular time of year:

PUMPKIN!
Besides all of the countless delicious pumpkin dishes out there, did you know that pureed pumpkin can be used as an egg substitute?

Apples
Crunchy, sweet, convenient, super-duper healthy, satisfies the sweet tooth… what else can you ask for in a food? I love it cut in slices and dipped in nut butter.

IMG_7080

And when it comes to transforming this gorgeous fruit into an easy and quick dessert, have you tried my Single Serving Apple Crisp Recipe?

DSC09104

Sweet Potatoes
Just bake until soft, cut length-wise and then add cinnamon and sea salt! Pure heaven!

Butternut Squash
Technically a “winter squash” but thankfully we usually start seeing this delectable squash in grocery stores one season early! FYI: Sage + Cooked Butternut Squash = Flavor Fantasticness.

DSCN0733
Garlic
Studies show that eating garlic can shorten the length of the flu or a cold!* So if you’re feeling under the weather, chop it up and add it to your savory dishes. Not a fan of the flavor? Talk to your doctor about taking it in supplement form.

IMG_2595

Ginger
Ginger is awesome for assisting with digestive issues and nausea. Eat it raw and tossed in honey, or steep it to create a soothing tea. I’m also a big fan of the candied type – just one or two pieces is all you need to soothe the stomach!

Broccoli
One of my personal favorites! I love it steamed with salt and pepper. Broccoli is also great roasted or blanched in salty water.

IMG_0599
Beets
Beets are loaded with a plethora of vitamins, minerals and fiber! I like to boil them whole in a pot of water and couple tablespoons of vinegar for about an hour (which makes it easy to remove the skin once cooled) or leave the skin on, chop into one inch pieces and roast them in the oven! Beets are great on salads or as a side dish.

Brussels Sprouts
Try them cut in half and roasted in the oven with a little olive oil, salt and pepper!

Grapes
Especially good in early fall (hence the reason wine grapes are harvested this time of year!).

Screen Shot 2015-09-27 at 4.27.28 PM
Figs
Have you ever had them on a pizza? Talk about sweet and savory magic!

Spinach
This is definitely one of the healthiest vegetables on the planet! Try it steamed with just a splash of water and then salt and pepper, or sautéed with a bit of olive oil and chopped garlic!

More autumn produce to look for:

Cauliflower
Pears
Kale
Acorn Squash
Pomegranates

Which produce and recipes do you love? Please share in the comments below!

Additional Resources:

Filed under: Good Eating

Tagged with:

Comments

Joan Bian

So happy you have this website…looks great! My husband Gene was in class with you at the Culinary Institute in NY several years ago! Congratulations on the eminent (it looks like)arrival of your twin boys! Joanie Bian

Audrey Dunham

Thanks, Joan! Please tell Gene I said “hello!”

Sandy wummer

trader joes salted pumpkin spice caramels. Really? That’s freakin awesome!!!

Audrey Dunham

I must confess – I haven’t tried these yet, but they are on my list of pumpkin treats to try!

Shannon

Probably will also be your favorite time once those little guys are born!
BTW not to get personal, but are you going naturally? Sorry I’m just so fascinated by pregnancy!

Audrey Dunham

That’s the goal! But we’ll have to see what happens. These little guys may turn sideways or feet down and refuse to move!

Susan andres

I love beets, very ripe melons and green apples, because they are low in sugar. I am a huge fan of brussel sprouts also. My mom was german and they grow their own vegetables.

Audrey Dunham

Ahh… home grown vegetables are the best!! Since we’ve been in Vegas, we haven’t had our own vegetable garden. I look forward to starting up a new one once we’re back in Los Angeles (mostly) full time!

Roy white

I appreciate getting your blog via Facebook. Fall is my favorite season. We are getting some great apples from the Shenandoah Valley at present. The various squash are also available a our farmers’ market. Looking forward to hearing about the arrival of the twins.

Audrey Dunham

Hi Roy!! Nice to hear from you! Hope all is wonderful with you and your family.

Katie

Iove reading your blogs. Will there be recipes? I love the fall too!! Iv struggled up and down with my weight I lost 120 before I got preg any I have 10 to go but it was worth it!cant wait to see all your fall blogs!

Audrey Dunham

Thanks, Katie! Congratulations on the weight loss!! There are a few recipes on this site already under the “Good Eating” category. Many more to come!

Alison Roser

Started reading this on Sunday. Receipes look good n i like to cook. Look forward to getting info on weight loss. I currently am a member of TOPS take pounds off sensibly. Lost inches n some pound but not a hugh amount. Need to step up excecise but am cautious of r knee. Have a good week.

JoAnn

Audrey,
I think it’s wonderful that you started this blog. I’m excited to see what you have in store for us its like having my own personal nutritionist. Will you also be putting any excercising tips as well?
On a personal note in every picture I have seen of you with Jeff your smile is beautiful and you can tell you are so happy. Congratulations on the twins. I’m sure you are a wonderful mom. Its the best gift in the world.