back
to top

The start of a New Year is an exciting time for most of us. It’s when we evaluate our current status and figure out what we need to do to make it better. We give ourselves permission to wipe the slate clean and focus on the path ahead of us. “Life improvement” is the name of the game, and it all starts with creating a short list of precise and well-thought-out goals.  The next step is to then put them in writing, preferably where others can see them so that we are held accountable to follow through.

So without further ado, here are three of my goals for 2016:

1. To Have a Green Shake or Large Green Salad Each Day. Or both!  Even though I am now a crazy busy mom of twins, one thing’s for sure: I will always need to eat. And with proper planning, I will always have control of what I eat. Making the decision to have one large green salad or green shake per day is a reminder that I’ll need to continue to make my health a priority even though I’m busy—because I am no good to these little baby boys if I’m sick. This is the bottom line: Consistently making poor food and drink choices leads to a weaker body that is more susceptible to illness and disease, and I frankly don’t have time for any of that nonsense because Jack and James need a healthy mama. So bring on the greens, one way or the other!

IMG_0222

1. To Read at Least 10 Minutes a Day. Simply put: Keeping up on the latest studies and popular opinions in nutrition, health and fitness is important to me—especially because these industries are constantly evolving and there is always something new to learn. Plus, I want to continue to create the most informative posts for you on this website that I possibly can! But one thing I’ve noticed recently is how quickly time flies now that I have little Jack and James in my life. There are moments where I’ll realize it has been four or more days since I’ve read a health-related article, blog post or chapter in a book. For this reason, reading at least 10 minutes a day made the list.
  1. To Get Swimsuit Ready by Memorial Day. After all, what’s a list of new year’s goals without including one that is health and/or fitness related?! Although the scale tells me I’m not that far off from my pre-pregnancy weight (ok – 7 lbs.), I know that some muscle was lost during my pregnancy, so that number on the scale doesn’t mean what it used to mean. Therefore, I’d love to get that muscle back and lose a bit of body fat while I’m at it. Five-and-a-half months is plenty of time to accomplish this goal, and I have a feeling my baby boys may be joining me in our little home gym for some very “creative” workouts in order to get it done!  Since this is the goal that will require the most determination and time management, I have posted this sign on my bathroom mirror as a constant reminder:
FullSizeRender

This little sign is only about 5″ x 7″ and only took me about 8 minutes to make!

It’s truly amazing how this keeps the goal fresh in my mind and influences the choices made throughout each day. I will certainly keep you posted on my progress!

What are your goals for 2016? Please share in the comments below!

Filed under: My World, Uncategorized

Comments

Virginia Kahn

good luck my dear — I made a couple for me – One I made last year that i stuck with was to go to the local farmers market weekly – still doing that 😉 I am also home cooking more checking labels more closely eating U.S. Products-
for this year –
1 make a loaf of home made bread at least once a week 2 get back to my gym routine at least exercise 3 x’s a week (choosing to be flexible on this one can mean walking the Labrador a mile one day a week ) the 3rd to socialize at least 2 x’s a month — that is the 3 big ones –

Jeanette Cross

Hi Audrey What is the green shake make of please. Trying to find a good cleanse.

Jamie Mesta

My main goal is to lose some weight gained in last few months. I was almost to my goal weight after years of illness, injury and surgeries. Being back to work after a few years, and losing my dad in Nov has me making poor choices. Must change that.

To be more positive on a daily basis. Keep gratitude in my attitude every day. No matter what.

I’m starting 2016 knowing that Graves Disease and Multiple Ssclerosis don’t have to define me. I have a great life; I’m going to enjoy it.

Jerlaine Leclerc

Hi Audrey, congratulations on those beautiful little boys. Love your fitness information. My goal this year is to mentally let things go from my memory. Try and fogive more and be happy. I have three wonderful grown children and six beautiful granddaughters that are the loves of my life. My husband and I will be married 50 years this July 16th. But, many say I do not look like it…so guess that is good. I had open heart surgery in 1993, double bypass, I have learned to eat more healthy and try to exercise as well. I am so lucky. All coronary arteries are clear and open. Say hello to that wonderful husband of yours. We saw him in Portland, Maine two years ago and will see him again this Jan. 31st. at the same facility. I am in love with Peanut. LOL. But I do enjoy the wisdom of Walter. Take care. So glad that Jeff is happy now and he has found someone like you. Regards, Jerlaine Leclerc, Livermore Falls, Maine.

Tabbatha rose

Be more positive, it does a body good.

Lose lose lose….. work hard to get my weight off. I suffer from fibromyalgia and cervical ddd.

Put me first. I have twin 9 yr old boys and twin 7 yr old gdaughters. I need to not stretch myself so thin for everyone else and forget about me.

I missed my fab by forty so I am shooting for a fantastic by fifty. I’ll be 47 next month

Jen Knapp

My main goal is to cut soda completely out of my daily routine. I’m afdicted, maybe not so much to the soda but the carbonation. Any tips on how I can cut out the sugary soda? I’m struggling with just plain ole water

Grace Volt

YES….What is your best green shake?? I make a shake with IT WORKS Greens because I don’t feel I get enough Fresh greens. But the one you made looks delish!!

Dana Barnum

I have had health goals for years now. Having been who I am, I have always put my children and my husband’s needs first during the course of my 2 marriages over the past 20 years. Unfortunately, I found myself in 2 different relationships in which I had basically absent fathers and I have raised my 5 kids alone. So with the goings on in life, I focused in the kids and my career. Anytime I put forth any thought into myself, I felt selfish and greedy. So, I inadvertently let myself go. I’m approaching a year now at being divorced and finally trying to get my life under control. I now only have 3 of mynkids still at home as the older 2 are 18 and 20. I’m trying to refocus on my career, which went tonthe side for a few different reasons. Dating is not an easy thing as I feel I don’t attract “my kind of guy” largely due to the fact of my size. But I feel I’ve taken enough time this last year to put things…life…into perspective and its time to see some results. I took a picture in July 2014 in Hebron KY. The following year I took another picture with the same man and his then pregnant wife. Looking at the 2 pictures, the 12# gain was apparent as the stress of the divorce got the best of me. It wasn’t until September, but I finally started making change in my way of eating. I have lost those 12#, and I feel great. I know I didn’t pack it all on at once, so, baby steps is what’s going to take if off. I want to see results because of my deliberate actions as I’m tired of trying to find that magic formula that melts everything away overnight. So, I too, am incorporating green into my daily routine. I also have green tea 2-3 times a day. I have replaced my coffe in the morning with hot water and lemon. I had rid my pantry of canned and bixed voods within reason (I keep canned beans on hand). I try to have a vegetarian day once a week, and fish 2x a week. My veggies are steamed or roasted with olive oil. I have cut the fat out of cooking as much as possible with the exception of olive and coconut oil but only as much as needed. My snacks will only be healthy such as fruit, baked apples and nuts (thank you for your maple walnuts recipe!). I am also cutting all known sugar and flour out of our meals, using honey or pure maple syrup and gluten free flours for basic cooking. I will drink lemon water daily. As soon as I can be consistent, I will incorporate regular exercise info my weekly routines. Right now I take at least 10 min to do something 3 days a week. It’s not much, but its usually a YouTube video…and its a baby step. It’s my goal to take another picture this July in Hebron KY with the same guy and his wife and see a noticeable difference. I don’t care what the scale says, I just want to look healthy, and who knows, maybe then I can find a gentleman who would be willing to get to know the real me, within out my weight running block on me! Thank you for all that you share! Thank you for your time, and Keep Having Fun!

Audrey Dunham

Thank you for sharing your story, Dana! You have made some excellent changes to your diet and lifestyle, and I know this July’s photo is going to make you very proud and happy. I wish you the very best that life has to offer!

Anna

You are an inspiration. It is a few months late but I made a resolution to better watch my calorie intake which I do via MyFitness app and use the glider we got from my mother-in-law more which I have been and I can tell a big difference.