Of the three, I’d have to say that my favorite meal of the day is breakfast. Perhaps it’s because I love sweet foods, and breakfast in our home is always sweet! Bowls of oatmeal, pancakes, waffles and French toast of all varieties are usually winners in my book, but lately I had been dreaming of creating a breakfast delight that steps outside the box a bit, yet offers a sense of warmth and comfort, too!
Thus, these Peach Raspberry Breakfast Pies were born. But as always, simple and quick is a top priority when it comes to recipes, which is why you’ll only need one bowl for these lil’ pies, even though there are three components to them.
Lastly, these breakfast pies are made with ingredients you can feel good about! The almond flour crust is loaded with protein, and the peaches, raspberries and oatmeal offer a bounty of vitamins, minerals and fiber. So no need to save these cutie pies for a special occasion; they can be enjoyed guilt-free any day of the week! This is how they’re made:
1. Start by heating your oven to 350 degrees. After that’s done, start your crust: First, in a medium sized mixing bowl, add all ingredients needed for the crust and mix with a fork until just combined. It’s ok if there are still some visible small chunks of butter here and there.
2. Then, with clean and dry hands, smush it all together and form four equal sized balls.
3. Place those four balls on a parchment lined baking sheet and flatten them with the palm of your hand. You’ll want them to be about ¼ of an inch thick.
4. Then, turn up the edges with your fingertips to form little piecrusts. Perfection is definitely not required! In fact, I like a more rustic, homemade look myself. Place this baking sheet in the freezer while mixing up the filling.
6. Next, take those little piecrusts out of the freezer and fill the bottom of each one with two heaping teaspoons of raspberry jam. Smooth that jam over with the back of a spoon…
9. Remove the baking sheet from the freezer and equally divide the topping mixture amongst the four pies. And then, garnish each pie with one little raspberry right in the middle!
The sweet and tangy fruit… the warm, crumbly almond crust… and the cinnamony and chewy oatmeal topping…. Mmmm –mmm! I hope you love these little pies as much as we do!
Makes 4 Peach Raspberry Breakfast Pies
1 ½ c. Almond Flour
¼ tsp. of each Baking Soda and Salt
½ tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 tsp. Sugar
1 ½ T. Cold Butter or Butter Substitute (I use Earth Balance)
1 ½ T. Cold Water
1 c. of Fresh or Thawed Frozen Peaches cut into 1-inch cubes (about 1 large peach)
1 tsp. Sugar
¼ tsp. Cinnamon
Pinch of Nutmeg
8 heaping tsp. Raspberry Jam
1/3 c. Oatmeal
1 T. Regular or Gluten-free All Purpose Flour
3 tsp. Brown Sugar
½ tsp. Cinnamon
1 ½ T. Butter or Butter Substitute
4 Raspberries for garnishing