When blueberries are in season, I can’t help but spend ridiculous amounts of time in the kitchen inventing new recipes that include them. They are just so delicious and satisfying and perfect, aren’t they? Bite-sized little round berries of blue that are loaded with juice and wonderful nutrients. Honestly, what’s not to love?
So of course, since pancakes are one of my favorite types of food on the whole planet, (along with cookies!), it was only a matter of time before I created a blueberry pancake recipe during blueberry season.
These are not just any blueberry pancakes, but sweet and fluffy ones that are high in fiber and protein, AND 100% vegan and gluten-free! Woo hoo!
I am so in love with this pancake recipe… And to top it all off, they are extremely easy and quick to make! Here’s how:
1. First, add the dry ingredients to a medium-sized mixing bowl and then stir to combine.
2. Then, add the wet ingredients and stir again just until all of the flour is incorporated. Set the batter aside for now.
3. Next, start heating up a griddle or frying pan over medium heat (not any hotter!) and then spray or lightly coat it with canola oil. After a few minutes of heating, add the batter to form your first round of pancakes!
4. Immediately after forming the pancakes, add 8 – 10 fresh blueberries to the surface of each one.
5. When the edges of the pancakes turn more matte rather than shiny, give your pancakes a flip! Cook on the other side for an additional minute or two.
6. Serve with maple syrup and a few extra blueberries on top, if you like!
Note: Be sure to coat your pan with oil between each batch.
That’s it! I hope you love and adore this recipe as much as we do. If you decide to give it a try, please let me know what you think in the comments below!
The Best Vegan and Gluten Free Blueberry Pancakes
Makes about six 4-inch pancakes
- 1 cup Fresh Blueberries
- Cooking Spray or Canola Oil (organic, if possible, to avoid GMO’s)
- 3/4 cup (98 g.) Garbanzo Bean Flour (I like THIS brand)
- 1/4 cup (27 g.) Gluten-Free Oat Flour (I like THIS brand)
- 1 Tb. Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tb. Unsweetened Non-Dairy Milk (I use Cashew)
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract